We don’t stop learning once we leave university. Life is all about trying new things and connecting with different people. To put this mantra into practice, I learn a new skill(s) every month. Learn with me!
Jan: study psychology
Feb: try improv
March: cake decorating
May: learn Adobe Illustrator/master the splits
June: rock climbing/taxidermy
July: body marbling
Aug: glass blowing/bull riding
Sept: plane flying/cheese making
Oct: lock picking/hair dying
Nov: scuba diving
Dec: flying trapeze
NYE Wrap-Up of the Year
- Perfected my Monty Python silly walk.
- Learned to ride a unicycle for 35 feet without eating the pavement!
- Flew a plane AND conquered my fear of heights.
- Made cheese out of belly button yeast.
- Took a road trip to Intercourse, PA.
- Checked off all 50 states—I’ve seen America!
- Managed to do a flip AND a catch on the flying trapeze.
- Ran up the exorcist steps—twice.
- Ate fried duck heads. (They taste EXACTLY like fried duck heads.)
- Went glass blowing and didn’t melt off any appendages.
- Road a mechanical bull and took my first jello shot.
- Learned how to pick locks. (NOTHING IS SAFE!)
- Fell in love with scuba diving.
- Taught myself the fine art of body marbling.
- Went rock climbing and bouldering and have the calluses to prove it.
- Hosted a food fight.
- Taught myself how to draw with Adobe Illustrator!
- Poynter dubbed me “Cake Wizard.”
- Did the splits!
- Laughed my way through an improv class.
- Ate poutine in Montreal.
- Conquered the bound lotus yoga position!
- Visited the Menstruation Museum.
- Dressed up as a zombie and went grocery shopping.
- Cut a rug at square dancing night!
- Took a tour of the West Wing and the White House all decked out in its Christmas finery.
- Ate bull penis and turkey testicles.
- Escaped an escape room in record-breaking time!
- Went sledding on the Capitol Hill lawn.
- Saw Darth Vader at the National Cathedral.
- Served bugs at a dinner party.
- Taught a social media class to Medill grad students.
- Read 82 books.
- Hosted a NYE party with customs from two dozen countries!
Jan: study Spanish
Feb: master the handstand
March: painting with water colors
April: aerial silks
May: outdoor rock climbing
June: sew a quilt/acroyoga
July: aerial lyra
Aug: learn embroidery
Sept: painting with oils
NYE Wrap-Up of the Year
- Mastered a backbend.
- Learned to flip in aerial lyra.
- Punched a guy in muay thai.
- Hosted a jello wrestling match.
- Won a pie eating contest.
- Swam (aka floated) in the Dead Sea.
- Donated 17 units of blood/platelets to people in need.
Photo Credit: Casa Thomas Jefferson